Thursday, July 21, 2011

Swimming: The Cure for Writer's Block

Have writer’s block? Go swimming. Why? Because exercise is good for you. It will get you out of the house. Ideally you will feel refreshed and ready to return to your computer.

I have always loved swimming. Before my shoulder objected I belonged to a Masters Swim  Program at my local YMCA. On one occasion I participated in a fundraising swim in the Chesapeake Bay. Of course I still swim at my local pool in the summer.  I plan to use swimming as a reward after I get my daily quota of writing done.

Personal discipline is another important ingredient. When I retired I used my time to enroll in some writing contests and to apply for a grant through SCBWI (Society of Childrens Book Writers and Illustrators.  I also took an online course on preparing a book proposal, which was very helpful. 




3 comments:

  1. Exercise is most definitely good for writers and other cerebral types. It tips you back into the tangible world. For years, my sanity exercise was cross-country skiing, which has many qualities similar to swimming.

    Good luck with this blog. You've got a strong hook, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love swimming for the joy of it and the soothing rhythm of back stroke and crawl moving through the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to this blog. You made me laff.

    ReplyDelete