Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Place for Bats

Now that summer beckons, I am walking around the lake by my house. It is approximately 2.7 miles and takes me 45-50 minutes, depending on how fast I walk. Today I saw a turtle resting. I don't know what species of turtle it was but I stopped to watch it until it got tired of being stared at and crawled back into the lake.

  This week's topic is not an animal I really want to get close to. A Place For Bats by Melissa Stewart. This book tells you about different types of bats  as well as what people can do to coexist with them.


   Here is a sample: "When people build bat boxes that are the right size and shape, bats can live and grow."

The illustrations by the artist, Higgins Bond, enhance this book.

2 comments:

  1. I prefer turtles to bats as well, but my 5-year old son prefers bats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bats play a crucial part in our eco- system.
      A single bat can consume 800 to a 1,000 mosquitos an hour or three times its body weight
      in insects in one evening.

      Encourage bat reproduction by installing a bat house.

      www.batsbirdsyard.com

      Delete